"like" me on facebook

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Amy's Nail Boutique: Cotton Candy

I went to a concert the other night and saw someone selling cotton candy. Big, fluffy, pink, and blue. So it was perfect timing when I received my latest purchase from Amy's Nail Boutique, containing Cotton Candy. Cotton Candy is a very unique blue and pink matte glitter nail polish. Amy seems to specialize in matte glitters and she's created another great one with Cotton Candy.

There are at least two different types of blue matte glitters in Cotton Candy, which give it extra dimension. Here is a macro shot:

 

I tried out a variety of methods when swatching Cotton Candy and ultimately decided to go with it as a topcoat over a base color. 


For my base, I used a Sephora by OPI mini. I didn't keep the box set that this came in, but I believe that it is Casting Call. It's a fairly run of the mill pink creme with slight blue undertones. I chose it because I thought it would compliment Cotton Candy nicely, and I think that it does.

Here is are two coats of Cotton Candy over one coat of Casting Call:

Click "Read more" for additional swatches and information on where to purchase Cotton Candy and other polishes from Amy's Nail Boutique.

Here are a couple more shots showing two coats of Cotton Candy over one coat of Casting Call. All shots were taken using natural light without flash.


I also swatched Cotton Candy over a lighter shade so that I could see more of the pink matte glitters. This is a terrible bottle shot, but it's of Essie's Like To Be Bad, from the 2012 Wedding Collection. It is a very pale pink with a slight shimmer that isn't reflected in my photo.
Here are two coats of Cotton Candy over one coat of Like To Be Bad:

And here is a shot of three coats of Cotton Candy, no undies. So it can be used on its own, but I much prefer it as a topcoat. It hadn't quite achieved opacity but I think it might have at a fourth coat.

Application was great. I've never had a problem with any of Amy's lacquers and this was no exception.

Overall, I enjoyed Cotton Candy. I initially thought that it would be great on its own but I'm a big believer in not having to apply more than three coats of any given color to achieve opacity and that didn't happen here. Cotton Candy looked great over both of the base coats I tried and it might be fun to get a little more experimental with base coat colors like some kind of a yellow possibly.

If you would like to purchase Cotton Candy or another of Amy's creations, please check out her Etsy page.  To keep up on Amy's Nail Boutique updates, like her Facebook page! That's where you will find out information on new polishes, restocks, and other information.

No comments:

Post a Comment